Acupuncture and Other Forms of Alternative Healthcare Treatment Can Make You Feel Much Better in A Natural Way
Anything associated with needles can elicit a natural negative reaction in people. This is why some people are hesitant to try acupuncture, a form of Chinese medicine treatment in which needles are used and stuck in certain parts of a person’s skin to treat pain, headaches, migraines, and other ailments. However, unlike the needles used by nurses to inject drugs into a person’s vein or to draw out blood, the needles used in acupuncture are solid and thin, that the most you can feel when they are inserted into the skin is a slight discomfort or numbing or tingling feeling, which later on, turns to a relaxing or invigorating feeling all over the body. In the West, acupuncture is considered an alternative healthcare treatment which more often than not means a natural way to treat diseases.
What is Alternative Healthcare Treatment?
Alternative health is a system of healing that involves healing techniques that do not fit into the world of modern day medicine. Alternative medicine has various types of modalities with each one focusing on distinct parts of the mind or body for the purpose of achieving wellness in a person. Some types of alternative medicine include:
- Massage Therapy – Also called physiotherapy, this is a healing technique that uses the power of touch to help massage away stress to heal the body. One form of massage therapy is Reiki.
- Naturopathic Medicine – A system based on the belief that health is a state of complete social, mental, and physical well-being. Health does not merely mean the prevention or absence of illness or disease.
- Herbal medicine – A type of medicine that uses to preserve wellness or to heal. Herbs are used for making a topical ointment or ingested by cooking with teas, herbal supplements, or herbs.
- Homeopathy – A type of alternative medicine based on a theory that anyone can heal in conjunction with that which makes them sick. The word homeo is derived from the Greek word that means 'similar'. Homeopathy uses several of the same things that make the individual ill and are presented in small doses for the purpose of healing the same illness. The idea is that when put into the body in a controlled environment the body makes use of its own healing powers and battles the intruder.
- Meditation - A type of mental exercise that brings the mind into a state of deep awareness and relaxation beyond the conditioned thinking mind with the aim at achieving such ends as greater self-awareness, creativity, or focus. To do this, the person can avail himself/herself of various forms of meditations.
- Holistic Medicine – Based on the Aristotelean axiom "The whole is more than the sum of its parts," this type of medicine is based on the premise that the all the parts of the body as well as the body itself work together and therefore needs to be accessed together and healed together.
- Chiropractic medicine – A type of healing method involving the adjustment and manipulation of the musculoskeletal system that works to attain fulfillment and symmetry between the body and mind.
As one can notice, each type of alternative healthcare has its own unique belief on how the health the best and preserve wellness. Some types work well with each other; others are even used as adjunctive therapies by conventional allopathic Western medicine.
What is Acupuncture?
So far, the types of alternative medicines listed above are relatively painless and are quite safe. The idea of needles is still quite unsettling and therefore, a little elucidation is in order. Acupuncture is part of an ancient Eastern healing system known as Chinese Medicine. This type of alternative healing has been used for thousands of years and has been handed down to each generation. Food therapy and herbs are also incorporated in Chinese Medicine. Some types of foods and herbs can achieve their maximum effects and will assist in wellness depending on the chemical make-up of your body. Acupuncture is most effective in the treatment of pain. For pain and aches a lot of people tend to run to their medicine cabinet or nearest pharmacy to buy over-the-counter drugs to relieve their condition; Chinese medicine however, uses different healing procedures. Some teas are concocted to alleviate general headaches but acupuncture is often used to relieve tension and stress.
What Does Acupuncture Involve?
Acupuncture is a healing art involving the accurate placement of needles in certain parts of the body and spine. Practitioners believe that these parts of the body are where energy known as Chi flows. This flow it tapped by the needles and assist in the release of positive energy while at the same time obstructing the negative, that in the end, will help alleviate the pain that is felt. Initially, the needles inserted will produce an uncomfortable sensation, but this is usually replaced by a completely relaxing feeling that usually lasts the whole day and even longer.
Acupuncture is a respected and widely practiced form of alternative healing. In fact, it is the most popular type of alternative healthcare in the world that has given various health benefits to millions of people all over the world.